The Trois Rivières plantation is a true piece of history in Martinique, the little French island of the Carribeans. The plantation itself was born in 1660, when King Louis XIV's ambitious Superintendent of Finances Nicolas Fouquet bought 2,000 hectares of land in the south of the island. There, he had his own castle built and decided to cultivate sugarcane (which was the main source of income for the inhabitants, back then). Unfortunately for Mr. Fouquet, the king imprisoned him in 1661. After that, the brand new plantation had many different owners and, thanks to their work, business was booming. They even added three huge sugar refineries to the Trois Rivières production site of Sainte-Luce.
In 1785, a French noble called Étienne-Joseph-Isaïe Marraud des Grottes (1702-1788) acquired the Trois Rivières plantation. He immediately built a distillery and started producing his own rum. Decades later, in 1905, the new owner and rich captain of industry, Amédée Aubéry, stopped the sugar refineries for good and fully devoted himself to making rum. He also modernized the equipment, as to answer the ever growing demand. When his son took over the business, during the 1940's, he moved all the workers and machines from his Dizac distillery (located on the Diamant commune) to his new distillery. In 1953, the Marraud des Grottes family, which had developed its own brand of rums, took back ownership of the Trois Rivières production site. The family was now selling the Trois Rivières rum under the Duquesne brand, until 1972.
In the 1980's, the Trois Rivières rum was looking for new customers outside of the Martinique. In France at first, and then all over Europe. 1994 was the year the Trois Rivières distillery was bought by the BBS company (which stands for "Bellonnie, Bourdillon and Successors"), the owner of the La Mauny rum brand. Two years later, Trois Rivières obtained its very own AOC. It is actually the only rum brand with an official appellation. In 2004, the entire factory was moved, from the commune of Sainte-Luce to the former building of the La Mauny distillery, in Rivière Pilote. Both Trois Rivières and BBS were later acquired by the Chevrillon Group, in 2012. They decided to revisit the identity of the brand, while still maintaining the traditional image it was known and loved for. Today, the famous Italian spirits group Campari owns Trois Rivières, Duquesne and La Mauny; all bought for 60 millions of Euros in 2019.