- Presentation of the winery
In 1868, James de Rothschild, a banker living in Paris, wine lover, bought the Château Lafite, he founded the French branch of the Rothschild. His nephew had acquired 15 years ago Mouton. The area at that time reached 74 hectares and is a great success. But thereafter the castle knows a disastrous period of the late 19th century until after the Second World War, mainly because of diseases of the vine, but also wars. The area will be restored by Baron Elie de Rothschild. In 1962, it acquired Duhart-Milon.
In 1974, Eric de Rothschild giving a new impetus to the field. He decides to modernize the winery. In 1987, a circular cellar underground is designed for wines second year. Baron also leads Domaines Baron de Rothschild, which includes nine areas including six in Bordeaux.
The vineyard of 112 hectares is exposed to the south-west and divided into three zones: the hills around the castle plateau Carruades and some plots to Saint- Estèphe. The vineyard lies on gravelly soil mixed with fine sands basement limestone. The vineyard is 70 % Cabernet Sauvignon, 25 % Merlot, 3 % Cabernet Franc and 2% Petit Verdot. The estate produces a second wine “The Carruades Lafite” since the 1980s.