- Presentation of the winery
In 1720, Joseph de Brane bought the castle, he called the winery Brane-Mouton and developed the vineyard. The estate wines acquired a good reputation. In 1853, the estate was purchased by Nathaniel de Rothschild, banker from the English branch of the family. So the field resumes its work, but sees ranked second grand cru in 1855, when he could earn the rank of first. James, the son of Nathaniel, inherited the estate in 1870 and built the present castle. In 1922, this is Philippe de Rothschild who takes responsibility for the area where he became the sole owner in 1947. This is the first member of the family who can devote himself entirely to the field, he is very enterprising.
In 1924, he decided to bottling on site, he is one of the first to implement this practice. The year 1930 is considered unmarketable as the great wine, then sells the wine under the name " Mouton Cadet ", which will serve as a second wine, before becoming a wine brand. In 1933 the Baron decided to expand the field and bought the Armailhac castle. From 1945, he transformed the Mouton label into art by drawing a tag every year by a renowned artist. In 1973, he won the reclassification of Premier Grand Cru wine. Following the death of Baron in 1988, his daughter takes the field, it is important work to rebuild the winery.
Located in Poulayet at the northwest exit of Pauillac and adjoining Lafite vineyard of 84 ha, is set on a hillside and stretches of deep soil on limestone subsoil. The vines are 83 % Cabernet Sauvignon, 14 % Merlot and 3% Cabernet Franc.