The champagne House Bérêche & Fils was born more than 150 years ago. It all started in the year 1847, when a humble winemaker and coffee merchant left Hungary and came to France, to settle in Champagne's famous Montagne de Reims terroir. That man was Albert Bérêche. Here, he started to cultivate a small 3 hectares vineyard, selling his entire grape harvest to a local champagne wine house, the Maison Canard-Duchêne (founded in 1868, in the city of Ludes and still active today).
During the early 20th century, Albert's son Léon continued the work started by his father. He upgraded the wine estate, expanding it and improving the vinification equipment. Léon also began to bottle his own wine, while selling it at the estate to passing customers. In 1920, he became a local celebrity with his "Vin brut de champagne non mousseux" cuvée, inspired by the old Coteaux-Champenois wines. Pierre Bérêche, Albert's grandson, joined his father once WWII was over. He was the one who stopped working with the Maison Canard-Duchêne, as he improved his bottling methods and developed his skills as a merchant. Back then, the family vineyard had doubled in size.
In 1978, Jean-Pierre and Catherine Bérêche took the helm of the champagne house. The couple progressively decided to stop using chemical herbicides in the vineyard. That goal was reached in 2003. Their sons, Vincent and Raphaël Bérêche are now in charge of the family business. They've been working with their father and grandfather in the vineyard since 2004 and have been promoting the use of biodynamics since 2007. The Maison Bérêche & Fils has a current output of 110,000 bottles per year. Its cuvées all have a very expressive personality; vinous and with low sugar.