Blueberry Chartreuse 1975-1987 - Export Italy - Voiron, 70 cl
Bottle in very good condition, with its original box, holed on the bottom. Purple screw cap in good condition. Under cap level 3 cm. Tax stamp glued, slightly torn on one side. Front label in good condition, slightly corrugated; slightly faded on the upper corners. An extra red label (in Italian) stuck on the main label. Back label in very good condition. Smooth and clean glass. Seal on the bottle.
- 70 cl
- Blueberry Chartreuse
- Production origin
- France, Voiron
- % vol.
- 17 %
- Tasting Note
- To bring out the flavors, Chartreuse is best served with ice. Traditionally considered an after dinner drink, Chartreuse is more and more being enjoyed as a long drink
- 3 cm
- Good condition
- Smooth and clean
- Screw cap, good condition
- Tax Stamp
- Good condition
- Collector Bottle
- Back label
- Perfect condition
The famous liqueur made by Carthusian monks
In 1605, at a Chartreuse monastery of Vauvert, in Paris, the monks received a gift from Marshal d'Estrées, an already ancient manuscript from an “Elixir”, which no one knows the origin of. In this period, only a few monks and even fewer apothecaries understood the use of herbs and plants in the treatment of illness. The manuscript's recipe was so complex that only bits and pieces of it were understood and used by the monastery's apothecary, Frère Jerome Maubec. He finally unraveled the mystery and, in 1737, drew up the practical formula for the preparation of the Elixir.
The distribution and sales of this new medicine were limited. One of the monks of La Grande Chartreuse would load his mule with the small bottles that he sold in Grenoble and Chambéry, and other nearby villages. So tasty was this elixir that it was often used as a beverage rather than a medicine. Recognizing this, the monks, in 1764, adapted the elixir recipe to make a milder beverage, and which we know today as "Green Chartreuse" (55% alcohol). The success of this liqueur was immediate and its fame was no longer restricted to the area around La Grande Chartreuse. In 1838, the Chartreuse distillers developed a sweeter form of Chartreuse: "Yellow Chartreuse" (43% alcohol)
In 1903, the French government nationalized the Chartreuse distillery. The monks were expelled. The monks took their secret recipe to their refuge in Tarragona, Spain, where they built a new distillery, and began producing their spirits with the same label, but with an additional label which said "Liqueur fabriquée à Tarragone par les Pères Chartreux" ("liqueur manufactured in Tarragone by the Carthusian Fathers"). After World War II, the government lifted the expulsion order, making the Carthusian monks once again legal French residents. Since the closure of the distillery of Tarragona in 1989, the liqueur is produced exclusively in Voiron using the herbal mixture prepared by two monks at Grande Chartreuse.
Discover the Chartreuse liqueur made by the monks, on Pleasure Wine. The French specialist in rare and ancient Chartreuses.