The Chartreuse of 1951-1956 (Voiron)
After the horrible landslide that destroyed a good chunk of the Fourvoirie building in 1935, the Carthusian monks had to leave their distillery. They decided to relocate to Voiron in 1936, in what used to be a simple warehouse. The year 1951 (ten years after their official comeback in the French liqueur market) was a milestone for the Fathers: it was the very first time the "Chartreuse" brand could be seen on the bottle labels. Before that year, it was only found on the glass itself. Strangely enough, Cusenier was actually a precursor when it came to advertising the Chartreuse name. The labels he put on his bottles of "Liquidatreuses" back in 1904-1929 often included a smaller paper strip, just under the first label, with the words "Une Chartreuse" written on it.
In 1952, the monks bought back the Brun-Perrod facility and used it to extend their Voiron production site. Thanks to this acquisition, their cellar became the second longest liqueur cellar in the world (164 meters long in total), right behind the Fourvoirie cellar (180 meters). The 1950’s were also the time when the sales of yellow and green Chartreuse were finally balanced. Many promotional campaigns helped advertise the green liqueur, which only made up for 30% of all sales before. You could also redeem coupons in newspapers and win mignonettes (3 cl bottles) of green Chartreuse.Read more