The Chartreuse of 1941-1951 (Voiron)
At the time, the Carthusian Fathers were slowly coming back to France, following the creation of the Compagnie Française de la Grande Chartreuse (the former company of their greatest adversaries: Lecouturier and Cusenier), in 1929. For three years, they renovated the abandoned production site of Fourvoirie, day and night. In March 1932, the distillery officially reopened, but unfortunately the celebrations were cut short. Because of heavy rains in the region, a landslide almost completely destroyed the Fourvoirie building in November 1935. The monks were devastated but they had to leave for Voiron, where they installed an emergency distillery. The Tarragona production site was still running in parallel (until 1989).
The 1940's were marked by the end of World War II. In June 1940, all the members of the Carthusian order were finally reunited, after 37 years of exile in Spain. For the first anniversary of their return in France, in 1941, the monks changed their bottles. The one and only Chartreuse liqueur, once again produced on French soil, went from a 1L model to & 75cl one (which became the new norm, actually). The original label from 1869 was reused, not only to get rid of the gigantic stock of labels that had been sitting in the Voiron warehouse since 1903, but also to show the French public that the Carthusian Fathers were home at last.Read more